Thursday, September 1, 2011

Not My Cup of Tea

I recently was reading The Magic Kindom by Stanley Elkin, I got about two-thirds of the way through the book. I couldn't read it anymore because there is absolutely no suspense or element of suprise to the book. It is written in a series of events. Things happen and that's it. The plot isn't really that difficult to guess, and on the back cover of the book it pretty much gives the reader a clue. This was what I get for judging a book by it's cover. In all fairness the cover of the book was nice looking. Good job Stanley for having a nice cover.


Today, the first day of September, I started reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's a novel that is, so far, told by a narrarator named Kathy. She is a carer, which is some sort of nurse, and she is modestly proud of her twelve years in this service, but it seems like she is anxious to get out. She continually alludes back to places of her past, so I'm sensing a flashback later on or something to do with her past  will become extremely relevant to the story. I've got much more to read since I am only one chapter into the book. It seems pretty promising and I hope it keeps my attention.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there!
    Fresh Money knows a good blog,and you have yourself a good blog! I really like the elepahtns :)
    Fresh Money out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey KIMJO,
    You're "Not My Cup of Tea" post was definitely helpful. I too, am guilty of judging books by their cover. I was thinking about starting Magic Kingdom because it does have a near cover, but after reading your blog I probably wont. Thanks again KIMJO

    -RocketGuild Out

    ReplyDelete