Tuesday, September 6, 2011

the word on the book

Okay, so i've been reading Never Let Me Go and I've gotten a little bit farther. As I expected Kath does go back and talk about her childhood, actually its taking up a lot of the book. Honestly I'm kinda getting sick of all the minor details that keep describing each character. I am hoping this book gets a little more fast paced and possibly some conflict.

Earlier in the book I came across a passage that stuck out to me, here it is:

"So you're waiting, even if you don't quite know it, waiting for the moment when you realise that you really are different to them; that there are people out there, like Madame, who don't hate you or wish you any harm, but who nevertheless shudder at the very thought of you--of how you were brought into this world and why--and who dread the idea of your hand brushing against theirs. The first time you glimpse yourself through the eyes of a person like that, it's a cold moment. It's like walking past a mirror you've walked past every day of your life, and suddenly it shows you something else, something troubling and strange" (page 36).

I found this quite interesting to think about, I'm not quite sure what it means yet. It seems pretty dark, like I'm going to find out there is actually something wrong with the children at Hailsham or if there is just something wrong with Madame for being scared of the children. I'm not entirely sure on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment